Mr Olumide Kinga, the Director, Ecology, Ministry of Environment and Mineral Resources, told reporters on Thursday in Akure that the ministry was taking every precautionary step to tackle the challenge.
Kinga said that the ministry had in the past three years undertaken enlightenment campaigns to educate the people on how to properly dispose their refuse.
“We made them to know the danger in dumping refuse into gutters, streams, rivers and other waterways, we told them such action will block the free flow of water, causing flood and damages to lives and properties.
“We placed jingles on radio and television and go out to clear the gutters and rivers to allow more volume of water to flow freely in the rainy season.
“We only recorded three cases of flooding in Akure, Ikare two weeks ago and there were no casualties nor damage to farmlands,’’ Kinga said.
The director said that the ministry was collaborating with the Federal Ministry of Environment on flood monitoring in the state.
He explained that channelisation works had been extended from Akure to Egunre-Oloja-Ilutitun and Osupalagba-Orisuniye in Okitipupa Local Government Area.
No comments:
Post a Comment